The link above includes a video interview of Mary Addi by right wing ultra conservative columnist and anti-Islam activist Frank Gaffney. Both individuals traveled to DC in order to testify against the establishment of a charter school by Turkish American educators. However, the interview includes many contradictions, misinformation, and discrepancies. Below are some examples:
- Her husband “had to give 40% of his salary back” in support of “the Gulen Movement”
Another thing is that her husband is the only person, out of close to a hundred employees on visas, to come up with such accusation from the schools. It is also interesting that such accusation comes from her husband who is also a disgruntled former employee like Mary Addi.
- Directors are always Turkish at these schools
What the parents at Horizon Science Academies care about is not the nationalities or gender of the principals but their qualifications, leadership skills, and the work that we see every day. All the directors at Horizon Science Academies do a darn good job in such areas.
- Mary Addi says, “her husband is a brilliant IT man but no experience in teaching” as he was asked to teach children at Horizon Science Academy-Denison.
- Mary Addi says Turkish teachers “may be highly educated” at one point and claims that they “are not qualified” at another point.
By the way, the parents at Horizon Science Academies really appreciate the diversity amongst the teachers at CMSA. We are not sure on what planet Mary Addi lives, but we all live in a global world. We work, interact, and live with people from many different backgrounds and diversity has always been valued in the US. Only small, marginal groups of people have been threatened by the diversity in this country throughout its history.
- Mary Addi claims that Turkish teachers a administrators “move constantly from one city to another due to license issues”
- Accusations of proslytization and indoctrination to Turkish culture
Over the years, thousands of students, parents, and staff have participated in these trips. Not a single person claims that some type of indoctrination, proslytization, or promotion of any religious/political ideas took place on these trips. Mary Addi is just blowing smoke…
- Mary Addi claims that students are mandated to take Turkish classes as part of Horizons’ effort to proselytize their students.
- Mary Addi claims that staff visits homes as part of their proselytizing efforts.
- Mary claims that countless teachers and countless parents contacted her since she started her blog.
Contrary to Mary Addi’s claims, many parents, students, and staff stood up and spoke against such allegations. Their videos are included in Concept’s blog, www.conceptschools.info
- Frank Gaffney shares an anecdote from a parent supposedly from a charter school initiated by Turkish American educators. In his anecdote he conveys “a parent was separated from her child” during a trip to Turkey and “she had no idea where her daughter went and did.
Second of all, did this “parent” in Gaffney’s story not ever reunite with her daughter after the trip? Did she not ever find out whether from her daughter or the school officials where they went? Did she not ever ask her daughter whether she was indoctrinated during her trip? This whole story does not make sense and is incomplete….
- In the video, Mary Addi and Frank Gaffney claims that the community behind them and they are against the proposed charter school.
- Mary Addi claims to have “documented evidence” on her accusations and she claims to have shared them on her blog.
- Mary Addi claims that Horizon Science Academy and Concept does not take legal action on her because what she says is true…